Violent schizophrenic spat on civilian policeman and sent threat message


A VIOLENT man spat at a civilian employee at Bury Police Station and then sent him a threatening email message.

Manchester Minshull Street court heard how paranoid schizophrenic Brian Watson was arrested and held in police station cells on February 24, 2019, but when detention officer Janet Flynn opened a hatch to hand him food , he spat in her face.

He was charged with assaulting her, but two days later Ms Flynn received an email from Watson at her business address.

“Its content sought to rationalize what he had done and said the allegation was ridiculous,” prosecuting Rachel Faux told court.

Then on March 8, 2019, Watson sent another email to Ms Flynn and her colleagues demanding compensation and expenses.

“The email was not addressed to him by name but was threatening and said: ‘Whether or not you pay me the compensation, lives will be lost on your end for the crimes you have committed.”

In a victim impact statement read out in court, Ms Flynn said: “While these offenses may seem trivial by Crown Court standards, this case has had a significant impact on me.

“I was aware of Watson’s criminal history, which is littered with cases of threatening behavior and spontaneous acts of violence.”

The court heard that, over a two-year period, Watson, with no fixed address, had not received appropriate medication for his unstable mental condition and that he had committed a number of violent offenses.

The first happened in Oldham on October 14, 2017, when three 13-year-old schoolchildren were on an evening bus heading to the city center.

“As they approached the bus station, they saw the accused yelling, ‘get down’ while pointing a pistol at the head of a second man who was crouched on the sidewalk,” he said. said Miss False.

When the boys got home, a relative called the police and at 10:05 p.m., officers found Watson in a downtown cemetery.

A CCTV operator spotted him acting suspiciously and he was arrested. He was wearing a woolen cap with eye holes to create a balaclava and, searching a nearby flowerpot, the police recovered an air pistol loaded with pellets.

Watson, 32, homeless, told police he was suffering from hallucinations.

Judge Bernadette Baxter learned that Watson had committed other offenses as well, attacking a PCSO in downtown Rochdale on October 5, 2018 and possessing an ax at McDonald’s in Rochdale on March 9, 2019. He pulled out the gun from her scabbard and stroked it, causing the departure of a frightened family, seated at a nearby table.

On the way to the police station, he became aggressive, telling a policeman, “You need to cut your head with a rusty blade” and punching another in the face after he managed to escape the handcuffs.

Two months later, on April 29, Watson turned violent when a member of the public objected to his fishing for coins from the fountain in St Ann’s Square, Manchester, pointing out that the money was intended for Arena bomb victims.

Two policemen on leave intervened and asked him to return the 26p he had in hand, but he refused and became violent and assaulted them.

Watson pleaded guilty to possession of a firearm with intent to instigate fear of violence, multiple assaults, possession of an ax in public, theft, sending a threatening message and failure to attend court.

Helen Longworth, defending, said Watson was ultimately held at Forest Bank Prison on December 11, 2019 before being transferred, a year later, to the secure psychiatric facility at Edenfield Center.

Judge Baxter has heard from psychiatrists that he has made good progress and is now more stable on medication, with plans to better support him once he is released into the community.

“He has improved considerably from the appalling state he was in when he committed these offenses,” said Dr Simon Plunkett.

Judge Baxter has sentenced Watson to a section 37 hospital order of the Mental Health Act, where he will stay until doctors deem he is well enough to be released.


Comments are closed.