Police Officer – Side Job and Academy Graduate – Pacific Grove Police Department (CA)
++ THE COMMUNITY: ++ The Police Service’s commitment to excellence, respect, professionalism and integrity through collaborative community partnerships promotes a high quality of life in the people of our city, called ” PG”. Our city shares borders with Del Monte Forest, the Pacific Ocean and Monterey Bay, Pebble Beach and Monterey which boasts a 3.5 mile fully accessible coastline, stunning pine and oak forests, of scenic 18-hole municipal golf courses, the oldest continuously operating lighthouse on the West Coast, Asilomar State Park and Beach, an award-winning natural history museum, several municipal parks including the Coastal Recreation Trail and a picturesque downtown. The police department is made up of 33 full-time positions, including 22 sworn employees, serving a community of 15,522 residents.
++ SUMMARY: ++ Under basic supervision, provides professional, responsive and courteous policing services for the Pacific Grove Police Department (PGPD); responds to calls for service, maintains peace and security in the community, and enforces laws and ordinances; basic duties include patrol, response, investigation and traffic regulation.
As defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, essential duties may include any of the following representative tasks, knowledge, and skills. This is not an exhaustive list of all the functions and tasks performed by holders of this class; employees may be assigned tasks that are not listed below; reasonable accommodations will be made if necessary. The job description does not constitute an employment contract and may be modified at any time by the employer. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Applies state and federal laws, as well as municipal regulations; performs work in accordance with PGPD policies to enforce laws, preserve peace, reduce fear, solve problems, and create a safe environment through community policing; duties vary by job assignment. Provides community-oriented policing and improves and enhances the quality of life in the community; works with citizens to address issues of safety, crime, fear of crime and neighborhood disorder; ensures that citizens are treated with courtesy and respect.
- Preserves the peace of the community through mediation, investigation, intervention, assistance and
- Stop; uses all legal means to improve quality of life by recognizing and resolving problems.
- Patrols the city, looking for unusual and suspicious activity and people; responds to urgent and non-emergency calls for service; investigates, documents and resolves traffic incidents, crimes, dangerous and illegal activities and citizen complaints; interviews and communicates with victims, witnesses and suspects in cases; provides scene security for emergency services personnel.
- Responds to requests for assistance from citizens, enforces traffic laws, detects crimes, apprehends
- offenders and ensures public safety; applies laws and regulations fairly and consistently.
- Crime and Accident Investigation; secures and processes crime and accident scenes, and identifies and collects evidence; arrest law breakers; transports and processes suspects, victims and prisoners.
- Testify as needed.
- Performs subpoena and warrant service.
- Completes detailed reports and required documents.
- Maintain vehicle and PGPD equipment in accordance with Department standards.
- Assists and coordinates with other emergency service personnel, outside organizations and companies, and federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies.
- Performs specialized functions in areas of expertise including training, SRO/DARE, SRU and other special law enforcement, assessment, surveillance, response and investigation teams.
- Upholds the integrity, professionalism, values and goals of the Pacific Grove Police Department by ensuring that all rules and regulations are followed and accountability and public trust are upheld.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Pacific Grove and the general public by demonstrating courtesy and cooperation when interacting with citizens, visitors, and City staff; maintains the confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.