Britain’s Prince Andrew to challenge US court’s jurisdiction over accuser’s trial

NEW YORK (Reuters) – Britain’s Prince Andrew is considering challenging the jurisdiction of a US court over a civil lawsuit brought by a woman who accused him of sexually assaulting and beating her two decades ago, according to a court record from Monday.

In the case filed in Manhattan U.S. District Court, an attorney for Andrew said the prince also plans to challenge the fact that he was properly served on the trial by Virginia Giuffre, who said she also had been abused by financier Jeffrey Epstein.

Giuffre’s lawyers did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Andrew, 61, is one of the most prominent people linked to Epstein, whom U.S. prosecutors accused in July 2019 of sexually exploiting dozens of girls and women.

Epstein, a registered sex offender, committed suicide at the age of 66 in a Manhattan prison on August 10, 2019.

Giuffre accused Andrew of forcing her in 2001, when she was 17, to have unwanted sex at the London home of Ghislaine Maxwell, the British socialite and longtime partner of Epstein.

Giuffre also said Andrew abused her at Epstein’s mansion on the Upper East Side of Manhattan and on a private island owned by Epstein in the US Virgin Islands.

Andrew has denied the allegations of Giuffre’s sexual abuse.

Reporting by Jonathan Stempel in New York; edited by Jonathan Oatis

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.


Source link

Comments are closed.