A Toronto police officer and a suspect believed to be involved in the Mississauga and Milton shootings have been confirmed dead

Hamilton police have confirmed that the suspect wanted in connection with the shootings in Mississauga and Milton on Monday September 12 is dead.  Earlier today, a Toronto police officer was killed in the Mississauga attack.

A Toronto police officer was confirmed dead following a fatal shooting in Mississauga on Monday, September 12, while the suspect was involved in the shooting, as well as a subsequent shooting in Milton later that afternoon , was also shot.

Peel Regional Police first responded to a double shooting in the area of ​​Winston Churchill Boulevard and Argentia Road in Mississauga around 2:15 p.m.

At the time, police were looking for the suspect, who allegedly drove a black Jeep Cherokee. About half an hour later, Halton Regional Police tweeted that they were investigating a triple shooting involving the same suspect vehicle.

As the investigation progressed, it was confirmed that a Toronto police officer was shot in Mississauga and succumbed to his injuries. Peel Police Chief Nishan Duraiappah said the victim was on a lunch break after a nearby training exercise.

One person was also killed and two others were injured in Milton’s shooting at a body shop. The suspect was reportedly taken into custody.

Later Monday evening, Hamilton Police Chief Frank Bergen said the suspect was shot in Hamilton Cemetery and pronounced dead.

“Shortly after 4:00 p.m. we received reports that the suspect was heading to our jurisdiction and shortly after we had an interaction,” Bergen told reporters during a media scrum. “At this point, the SIU (warrant) was invoked.”

Bergen added that there was no longer a threat to public safety after the incident. Peel Const. Heather Cannon said a public safety alert issued earlier in the day was also withdrawn around 5:30 p.m. because Peel police believed there was no threat to the public after the Mississauga shooting.

At a joint press conference involving Peel, Toronto, Halton Police and the Toronto Police Association on Monday evening, the officer who was killed was identified as Const. Andrew Hong of Traffic Services, a 48-year-old man who has been with the service for 22 years.

At the same conference, Halton Police Chief Steve Tanner said there was an interaction between Halton police and the suspect in Hamilton, which prompted the SIU investigation.

“We, as the entire police family and the communities behind us, extend our condolences to the families and loved ones of all those affected by today’s tragic events,” Duraiappah said.

Toronto Police Chief James Ramer added that Hong is survived by his wife, two children and parents.

This is devastating news for his family and for all members of the Toronto Police Service and our entire policing community,” Ramer said in a press release. “We will be leaning on each other as we work to support Constable Hong’s family and each other in our grief.”

Hamilton Police confirm one person has been arrested and pronounced dead in connection with shooting investigations in Peel and Halton. @SIUOntario invoked his mandate. There is no permanent risk to the public. Learn more: https://t.co/cmf3HqDuEH

Comments are closed.